Wednesday, March 30, 2016

The Cliché MC

Young Adult. A popular genre in Book World. It's also one genre that carries cliches on its back. We all know the stereotype: young, 16 year old girl, virgin, no drinking, drugs, or partying of any type whatsoever. The outcast with 1-3 close specific friends. Sheltered. Bland, blah, and so exhausted.

I haven't picked up a good YA novel in a while. I think the last one that didn't have a stereotypical female MC was The Selection by Kiera Cass. The Selection may have fallen flat for some people, but it was a refreshing breeze for me.

But the Pure MC isn't the only book-turn-off. I found this article that clearly expresses just how I feel about the YA books of today. Will I follow these guidelines to the T? Probably not, But it plainly addresses the many problems I've had trying to find a good book lately. And it's advice from my target audience.

I can only hope that my wish to publish will be well received. I know there is no possible way to make everyone happy, that everyone will like my books, but I hope I can do the writer and reader community justice.

But if I fail...I will get up again.

What book cliches/stereotypes are you tired of? Share in the comments below. I'd love to hear from you.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

What me to address a certain topic? Have an opinion? Share it! I want to know what you have to say.